scooter commuter
Thursday, June 23, 2005
  Ugh!
Two wheeled vehicles can be a lot of fun to ride to work on. The Texas temperatures have been almost unbearable for a non-air conditioned mode of transport. As long as the traffic is moving I am fine with the heat. But what is worst than the heat is when you are cruising along and all of a sudden you notice the exhaust note changes from a cool baritone, to an ever so tricky bass. This very thing happened to me yesterday on my way home from work. I was cruising about 55mph and the exhaust notes changed and my first thought was "Oh Shit!! What did I break now!" So I pulled over at the nearest stopping point, which was a municipal driveway for a floodwater pumping station. I got off of the scooter and started giving it the once over. The first thing I did was check for oil on the ground, you never know when you are going to lose all your oil in a catastrophic failure. The next thing I did was check the battery and it was still there. From the battery I looked down at my exhaust pipe, and there it was, or wasn't. I noticed that my aftermarket pipe was missing the canister at the end. So I started hoofing it back up the road to find my trash. As I was walking a nice frenchman from my work stopped to check and see if everything was alright, and it was. I noticed about another hundred yards up the road was the culprit canister, so I went and picked it up, walked back to the scooter and continued my commute with just the straight pipe on the Bajaj. I didn't want to push the scooter too hard because I didn't know, if anything, what would happen. Would the engine blow apart? Would my tires burn off? Would the world come to an end? I don't know. About 9:30pm I went out to the garage and worked on my baby. Luckily I had the forsight to keep the old exhaust in case of these kinds of emergencies, it was in a pile slated for the trash can. After installing it, I fired up the old scoot and nary a sound was heard from the exhaust. I had grown accustomed to the growl of the amplified exhaust note. But then again a quiet scoot does have its charms.
 
Comments:
Finally David, I can comment on your blog!!!!!!! I've quite grown accustomed to your noisey scooter too. Now you can sneak up on us at home! :-p :-) Keep blogging Baby!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
This blog is just some musings when I happen to think about it, or if I work on the Riva, I'll let you know.

LINKS

Dreamer's Reality
Cakesniffers Beware
Angry Chimpansy
Dreamer's Reality
Scooter Commuter
BajajUSA
Scoot.net
ScooterBBS
Channel 2 News
Lone Star Times
Newsmax

ARCHIVES

April 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / November 2005 / October 2006 /

Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

Powered by Blogger